WWW (World Wide Web) is like the whole world is in our hands and if we don’t utilise it properly then it is such a waste of opportunities and resources. There are almost thousands of ways in which the information can be searched on the internet. I cannot provide you with the complete list of methods on how to do it but the least I can do is give you some common and very important methods from which you can make you time on the internet much more satisfactory and useful. These below should be more than enough to boost your experience with the internet.
GOOGLE OPERATOR HACKS:
Number one in the list is “Google Operator Hacks” while this is not the only one but this not the least one too. The best thing about google which I and might be everyone out there like is its simplicity and clean layout. Give them your query and hit the search button and the world is there on your screen. There are loads of hacks you can try with google but the most important ones are given below.
Here is my collection.
· Given below are some syntax that google use to categorise its search results you can use them to filter your search results for more specific results.
The syntax specifies google to search for file type extension like: PDF, EXE, ZIP, RAR etc. and many more. For Example: “Invisible Man filetype:pdf” will search for the files over the internet with the name Invisible Man with extension PDF and you will get the direct link.
The syntax specifies google to show the version of the webpages that google has cached in its database. For Example: “cache:knowtechno.com” will show the version of knowtechno.com that google has saved in its database.
This syntax searches for specific keyword in the content of the website or the focused keyword of the page. For Example: “intext:important” will look for any webpage that has “important” keyword in its web page.
What this syntax does is this search for the keywords in the title of the web page. For example intitle:index of master.passwd will return pages within Unix or Linux where the master.passwd files are. /etc/passwd “allintitle:” will produce a list of all words in the title. Google will ignore the slashes.
This syntax tells google to search for particular keyword or characters in the url of the webpage. For Example “inurl:Microsoft” will show you the search results with the keyword Microsoft in the url.
will show you the list of webpages which has the provided link in them. For Example “link:example.com” will show you the list of webpages that has link to example.com on their website.
Ø “phonebook:” T
his one is not so popular as it is regional and can only be used in US. The Google syntax “phonebook” searches for U.S. street addresses and phone number information. For Example: “phonebook:James+FL” will list down all names of person having “James” in their names and located in “Florida (FL)”.
This syntax simply shows the list of webpages that are similar to the user entry. For Example: “related:example.com” will show you the list of all websites that are related to example.com.
This syntax instructs google to search for a particular keyword on a particular webpage specified by the user. For Example: “keyword site:example.com” this statement will search for the word keyword on the webpage example.com.
· This one is for those who are fed up of the google affiliate links and want to disable them you can just simply copy and paste this after every search query “-inurl:(kelkoo|bizrate|pixmania|dealtime|pricerunner|dooyoo|pricegrabber|pricewatch|resellerratings|ebay|shopbot|comparestoreprices|ciao|unbeatable|shopping|epinions|nextag|buy|bestwebbuys)” and if you don’t like copy pasting again and again just go to Give Me Back My Google they give you the platform search like google and automatically add the code above after your search queries.
· Search query -Exclusion as you can see above there is a “- “before the code in the syntax that code tells google to exclude everything containing anything related to the word after “- “symbol.
· “Keyword ~glossary” will find all the pages containing glossaries related to the user inputted keyword.
· “define:accommodation” will show you the definition of the word accommodation.
· “~alligator” will search for the word alligator and the words related to it.
· “ind dfw” will show you the flight between Indianapolis and Dallas you can compare and book directly from google.
· “American Airlines Flight 2288” will show you the status of the provided flight.
So these were some basic syntax you can use in google to make things easier and yes you can combine more than one or two syntaxes together for much more filtered and specific results. Just remember one point if you want to exclude something from your search query simply add “-“ sign before it.